Should you teach print or cursive handwriting first?
How are you and your little ones doing!?
Have they started their schooling yet!? Are you also thinking whether it's the right time to introduce them to writing!?
Whether to start with alphabets or numbers!? Should you introduce straight lines first or curved ones!? Confused between which one is better??
Print or cursive!? You must have lots of questions and confusions in your mind, right!?
Trust me, when I enrolled my kids to school 2 months ago even I was pretty confused as to how to take things forward and what are the things that I'm supposed to do as a parent to help them learn and understand things better!
So today I'm going to share why I adopted print method for my kids and how it is help them to progress in learning to write alphabets, numbers and different lines/curved patterns!
- First and foremost, we started with standing and sleeping lines and then transitioned towards slant and curved lines!
- Once they got good grip and their motor skills were on point we started with next step!
- Keeping these different lines as references we started with capital letters and numbers and it was way easy for them to grasp it, understand how to form the letters!
- We are finding print method much easier compared to cursive one!
- Its simpler and involves straight lines which help my kids to understand what they are writing.
- Print words are most widely used in books which help them to identify what they are learning!
- We can always make a transition from print to cursive. And cursives will be even taught in higher grades as well!
- Writing does help in hand-eye coordination, motor skills and other memory functions too!
- In print writing there are many pauses and breaks, kids get time to lift the pencil and need not be continuously writing which help kids to recollect and continue.
- Overall, so far I am happy with the progress that we are making by adopting this method first!
Popular Posts on HiveParenting
It's not that we haven't tried cursive yet! We did try but I noticed that my girls were facing difficulties in understanding and moving the pencil in the particular pattern!
That's why I have decided to wait for a couple more months and then re-introduce them to cursive writing again! Anyhow eventually they will learn both the ways, Right??
Lastly, let's not forget that writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you grow! So let's encourage our kids to learn better and also help them to accept and conquer the tough challenges that come their way in this journey of writing for good!
I hope these insights give you an idea on how to start and continue this journey of writing and help your kids to understand things better!
I'm Priya, a mommy blogger by passion who likes to pen down her experiences and share a very little about parenting that she knows to the rest of the world!
Being a mom of twin girls, I'm always in search for some tasty recipes, toddler activities and healthy lifestyle ideas. Motherhood for me is to relive my entire life in a new way having my girls by my side..