Teach kids not to waste food in a positive way
We all know food is such an important part of our living and a famous quote goes like" Hard work needs to be rewarded by good food”. Our parents did so many sacrifices just to keep our tummies full and help us grow healthily and happily, Right!
Similarly, every individual works to earn his food and basic necessities in life!
Having said that, it's really important to teach the value of food and why not to waste it from a very small age itself! Because, once you get to know the value of any particular thing, your respect towards it increases!
Today, let's talk about how we can teach our kids not to waste food in a positive way!
As parents, it’s on our part to raise responsible citizens who is aware of the surroundings and the things that needs to be done for the betterment of the society.
- So, my first tip would always be to begin meal planning and grocery shopping accordingly. It all initiates with you. If you have a plan ahead, you try to execute it smartly!
- Make a note of things that your kids are choosy about or doesn't enjoy eating much and try to reduce the quantity of buying such items whenever you go for shopping!
-Set a routine for your kids from a really small age so you exactly know when to feed them, what to them and how much to feed them.
- For instance, if you have to go out for dinner, make sure that either you give them a very light snack or skip the snack so that they will enjoy their food outside rather than wasting what's in their plate.
- Control their portions. Don't hoard their plates with food. Serve smartly and if they demand, they can always go for second servings.
-Try adding various options in their plates in small quantities so that it gets visually appealing and also they get to enjoy various textures and tastes and hence won’t be bored and start playing with their food.
- Instead of forcing the child to empty his plate, it's important for us to teach them mindful eating.
- Let them decide how much they want to eat and stop whenever they feel full.
- Store the leftovers for the next meal wherein you can add something extra and make a complete new dish using these leftovers.
- Showing them something visually would make a huge impact on them. For instance, showing them a documentary showcasing kids who are starving and telling them why they shouldn't waste food.
- Lastly, be a good role model. Make smart food choices, eat healthy and show them to enjoy food and not to waste it by doing it practically.
- Kids tend to learn quickly whenever they see you doing something. They love initiating their parents, isn't it!?
Lastly love and food is meant for sharing and not wasting.
Let's teach our kids and try to practice it in our everyday lives.
I'm Priya, a mommy blogger by passion who likes to pen down her experiences and share a very little about parenting that she knows to the rest of the world!
Being a mom of twin girls, I'm always in search for some tasty recipes, toddler activities and healthy lifestyle ideas. Motherhood for me is to relive my entire life in a new way having my girls by my side..
Share your Story
We encourage you to share your story on Hive parenting.com. .Writing on Hive parenting today, we are very excited to read your stories. Hiveparenting editorial team reviews each article and make necessary changes and publish it on the portal. Contributing articles to the HIVE PARENTING platform is a personal choice.